SAFE Awards $30,000 in Scholarships
SAFE continued its commitment to improving the financial well-being of our local community by providing $30,000 in scholarships to exceptional students this spring.
As part of our annual scholarship program, ten college-bound high school seniors were each awarded $1,000 for their outstanding achievements. The large pool of applicants represented 43 high schools and 28 cities. Recipients were chosen based on academic achievement, financial need, community service, letters of recommendation, and personal compositions on how their educational endeavors will benefit their communities.
This year’s recipients include:
- Kathryn Watanabe and Kyle Roux of Bella Vista High School
- Bridget Hanzalik of Folsom High School
- Allison Barcelon and Leah Freedman of Laguna Creek High School
- Tiffany Alunan of Granite Bay High School
- Lourdes Cabrera of Grant Union High School
- Nina Tumanova of Rio Linda High School
- Suzanne Bigley of Rocklin High School
- Sarah Pearson of San Juan High School
The SAFE Scholarship Program began in 2001 and is open to students who live or attend school in Sacramento, Placer, Yolo, Yuba, Sutter, Amador, Butte, Contra Costa, Nevada, San Joaquin, Solano, or El Dorado Counties. SAFE also sponsors the Sacramento County Academic Decathlon and awards $10,000 in scholarships to its champions. In addition, we provide $10,000 in Air Force Association scholarships.
At SAFE, we believe investing in education is an important step to lifelong financial well-being. To learn more about resources for your child’s education, visit SAFE’s Beyond Everyday Banking® blog at info.safecu.org/blog.