Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) are the most common way credit union members get cash and make deposits. Here are a few basic safety tips to keep in mind when using ATMs:
- Always be aware of your surroundings. If you see anyone suspicious, leave immediately.
- Always feel free to cancel your ATM transaction if you feel uncomfortable for any reason. On most ATMs, you'll have several opportunities to cancel before your transaction is processed.
- Use ATMs with security cameras and inside businesses such as grocery stores since they are less likely to attract criminal activity. All SAFE ATMs are equipped with security cameras.
- Protect your ATM personal identification number (PIN). Never write it on your ATM or debit card, or on a note in your wallet. Never share it with anyone. SAFE employees will never ask for your PIN.
- Avoid using ATMs at night unless necessary.
- Make sure no one is observing you when you enter your PIN.
- It's also very important to keep a close eye on your monthly statement. The easiest way to do this is to setup online access to your SAFE account through online banking at www.safecu.org. Once you've setup your account, you can check your account balance and activity any time you want, day or night.
- If you ever lose your SAFE ATM or SAFE Visa® Debit Card, contact SAFE right away. In most cases SAFE can issue you a new card right away.
For additional ATM safety tips, visit Diebold's Consumer website .